Sunday, February 13, 2011

Roast Beef Toasts

So I had the aspiration to make French onion soup. I went to Smitten Kitchen, wrote down my grocery list, and even went to the store. Well, needless to say, I forgot my list and came home without beef stock. Dang... So it went to the back of my mind and my poor little baguette got rock hard

Being a resourceful person, I decided to slice and toast it up; that way, whenever I got around to the soup I wouldn't have to go back to the store for bread. With nothing in mind for dinner that night, I improvised with my little toasts.

I cut my baguette on a bias, rubbed each piece with garlic and sprayed with a bit of olive oil and baked them on a sheet tray for about 18 minutes at 350F, turning half way through.

I mixed together 3 Tablespoons of mayo and maybe 1 teaspoon of prepared horseradish and spread a bit on each of my toasts (I had 8), and topped each with sliced red onion, deli roast beef and some shredded swiss cheese. I put them under the broiler just until the cheese melted.



Yum! They were a terrific little treat for my mom and me while we kicked back and watched the Vampire Diaries.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...